The Basics of Strategy
The experts, it turns out, were right. The internet continues to spread across the world with incredible fervour. It’s not just a matter anymore of having a presence online but you have to carefully consider who your target market is and how the best way will be to reach and engage with them.
Having an online marketing strategy gives you a measurable and definitive way to target your market and position your business, so that those looking for what you have to offer are finding you easily.
Regardless if your company is considering online marketing as a big or small part of the marketing mix, it’s important to get the basics right:
- If you have a website make sure you get it right. Ensure the websites are engaging and have clear business goals, with appealing content that is easy to navigate and most importantly gives consumers what they want
- Being found by customers. This should really be top of the list – it is crucial that the site can be found in search engines for language the customers use and not simply the names of the brand
- Building relationships. Start showing that you understand what your consumers are interested in by building content or articles about related topics such as Confederations Cup Facts and Things to do in Sandton in 2010. Distribute this content on soccer content portals and travel portals - all with links back to your site -this will show that you are in touch with your surroundings and events taking place. When the user clicks through to your website it is vital to provide an offering in line with the topic that you have mentioned.
- Give your content legs: Another important aspect is that you should enable the content on your site to travel as much as possible. This will increase your social media influence and visibility online. Social bookmarking and favourite buttons goes a long way to show that you want to make the consumers online experience as memorable as the one they will have when they stay/travel with you.
- Short term awareness: If you want to get people interested in a special offer that you are running which has a short lead time, then add Pay per Click advertising to the mix. This provides instant brand visibility and with a strong call to action you can obtain tremendous results. This is great for short bursts or ongoing brand awareness depending on your strategy and the effectiveness of your current SEO and organic rankings on Google.