Digital Design Checklist
There are so many factors that need to be considered when creating a site, it really is a strategic task to figure out what to do first and when to do it.
To assist with this process we’ve put together '5 easy tips to consider in creating a successful website'.
Stick to the basics when it comes to layout
Most successful websites have one thing in common, basic website elements such as:
- Header – usually contains the logo, tag line and at times the navigation.
- Navigation – at times contained within the header, horizontally above or below the header, or vertically above or below the header (often times aligned on the left or right side of the website).
- Content/Body – one of the vital parts of your website. The content contains the information that makes your website what it is. The content is also the reason why people will visit your website and continue to come back.
- Footer – the footer usually contains copyright information, links to the main sections on your website, and/or, links to other websites within your company’s network.
Design does count
Although many people would like to say that they don’t judge on first appearances the reality is when it comes to websites most people do judge it by its design. If your website doesn’t have an attractive design, people may dismiss your website as being unprofessional and leave without looking at any of the content.
Home page is key
A home page’s main goal is to successfully communicate to the visitor what your website is about. When a new visitor comes to your website for the first time an initial impression will be formed within 7 – 10 seconds, if you don’t grab their attention right away you risk the visitor bouncing somewhere else. Your home page should:
- Keep your visitors interested (only appealing and attention-grabbing content on the home page)
- Get to the point (bulleted lists, clearly define sections, use no more than 3 columns, short paragraphs)
- Make it easy to navigate (accessible navigation, search function, site map in footer)
Content is a key ingredient to any website, its vital to provide people with a reason to visit your site. Therefore you need to ensure that your content is:
- Checked for spelling and grammatical errors
- Understandable - speak in a tone that your target market will understand
- Has specific appeal to your target audience interms of the offering
- Shows a personal appeal and flavour
- Optimized for Search Engines
The growth of social media has changed the way people want to interact. It depends on your strategy as to if you will allow users to upload videos, images and sound clips on your website. Allowing a level of engagement makes your visitors feel like they are a part of your Brand and the truth of the matter is people like to be heard and to be able to participate if they are to feel aligned to a Brand.